Monday, June 11, 2012

An Old Man's Tale

Free - 36 pages


“All right, all right keep your shirt on,” the late arrival announced to the others who were obviously nagging him for being late. “At least I made it, didn’t I? I know I’m late, but I’m here, ain’t I? Just simmer down, okay? What’re we talking about today? The hurricane! You’ve got to be kidding. Don’t even worry about that thing; it’s not going to hit us. So, what else is there to discuss; nothing, right? That’s what I figured. You know, that’s always the problem with you guys; nothing’s ever on your mind, so nothing’s all you ever talk about. Yeah, you heard me all right, what of it? Anyway, I’m glad you’re talking about nothing, because I’ve got something I want to get off my chest.” Someone must have asked what he was getting at. “I guess you might say it’s about God,” he announced. The director noticed a few obviously objecting, but the old man ignored them.

“Yeah, you heard me right; I said God. Anyone got a problem with that?” he asked, looking around the table and staring right at those who objected. No one said a word although a few silently rolled their eyes.
“I didn’t think so,” the old man said. “Anyway, I guess just about everyone prays to God, don’t you think?” Several nodded. “Well lately, I’ve been wondering what God might think about them; the prayers that is. Take war, for instance. Both sides believe God’s on their side, so each prays for His help in destroying the other. We do the same thing ourselves, in locker rooms all around the country; you know, just before the big football game.” He got a couple of nods.

No comments:

Post a Comment